The University of California, San Diego Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion invites applications to fund pilot projects that advance the UC San Diego strategic plan diversity goals. Priority will be given to investigators who propose new, innovative projects that have the potential to create systemic changes addressing disparities in faculty, student, or staff ranks at UC San Diego.
Innovation Grant applications are being accepted for 2016-2017.
- Project Leaders/Investigators eligible for pilot EDI Innovation grants include faculty and staff from UC San Diego.
- Projects must have pending or committed other sources of support (institutional, gift, or grant) to apply.
- Projects that have received funding for two years are not eligible to reapply.
The criteria for funding will include Significance, Innovation, Approach, and Sustainability. All applicants must submit a proposal no more than 5 pages. The proposal must include:
- Background (1 page)
- Statement of the problem
- Significance of the work and key outcome(s)
- Program Narrative and Impact (2 pages)
- A description of the proposed project, program, or pilot
- Project/program aim(s) and goal(s)
- Any collaborative partnership proposed including all co-investigators
- Program Evaluation (1 page)
- A description of how you will assess and analyze the success of the project/program
- Budget and Justification (1 page)
- Brief explanation of how the funds will be used
- CVs of Project Leaders/Investigators (not included in page count)
Reviewers will evaluate impact of the project on addressing and increasing diversity at UC San Diego. The probability that the project may lead to other institutional, governmental, or foundation funding will be also assessed.
This funding mechanism will favor proposals that have the potential to advance systemic changes at UC San Diego that will exert a sustained, powerful influence on fostering an inclusive and equitable climate in the faculty, staff, and student ranks.
Core Review Criteria
Reviewers will consider each of the review criteria below in the determination of merit, and give a separate score for each.
- Significance. Does the project address an important problem or a critical barrier to progress in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion at UC San Diego? If the aims of the project are achieved, how will campus climate and/or diversity improve at UC San Diego?
- Project Leader(s)/Investigator(s). Are the project leaders/investigators and collaborators well-suited to the project? Have the project leaders/investigators and/or collaborators demonstrated how their background and skills will address and improve diversity at UC San Diego?
- Innovation. Does the application propose novel approaches to improving faculty, student, or staff diversity at UC San Diego?
- Approach. Are the overall strategy, methodology, and analyses well-reasoned and appropriate to accomplish the specific aims of the project?
- Sustainability. What is the potential for continued support from non VC-EDI sources?
- Budget. Is the budget reasonable and well thought out?
- Other Support. Have the project leaders/investigators sought out additional funds to implement the project? What other funds (departmental, divisional, gift, grant) are already committed to this project?
Use of funds
Funds of $5,000 - $15,000 may be requested. Funds will not be awarded for ongoing work nor for bridge funding. We expect to fund up to 5 to 8 projects based on merit of submitted applications.
We recommend that you complete your application in a separate Word document, please refer to application fields in the following PDF. When you are ready to submit attach your proposal as a PDF under the "Additional Attachments" section and write "see attached PDF" in the online aplication field sections (Background, Program Narrative and Impact, Program Evaluation, and Budget and Justification).
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis up to the Friday of week 8 of the quarter. Award announcements are made on or before the last day of the quarter.
For consideration for Fall Quarter 2016 funding - proposal due no later than November 18, 2016.
For consideration for Winter Quarter 2017 funding - proposal due no later than March 4, 2017.
For consideration for Spring Quarter 2016 funding - proposal due no later than May 26, 2017.